Saturday, August 18, 2012

on haircuts

My hairstylists are always young and beautiful...I'm not sure why, as I seriously and carefully select them based on their haircutting techniques and ability to bring out the best color for me - not their age or beauty.  I will admit, I like hip and fun hairstylists who don't see me just as a "mom," as those haircuts tend to be boring in my part of the world.  I also don't want to a haircut that I see on every other mom at school events.   

It takes a while to train my hairstylists on what I want, as most don't expect a 42 year old mom to want rich, golden tones sitting on top of a darker brown color.  Also, they tend to cut my bangs way too short when I first start going to them.  I look really goofy when that happens - and trust me, the hairstylist only does that once or I don't return. I want to have soft, sexy hair, with long bangs, even if the cut is short, which it is right now.

As I'm sitting in the chair, with everyone around me talking about marriages, kids, and jobs,  I glance up from my magazine and into the mirror.  At first, all I see are the foils all over my head, making me look like a martian.  Then I see her. Yes!  You know the one.  The one that looks like me, but only older?  She's there, reading the same magazine I am, and looking tired and beat.  Not at all like the way I feel, which is full of energy and life.  I mean, after all, I am getting my hair done.  What girl doesn't feel better after a few hours at the salon? 

But, there she is.  Staring back at me.  How does she always find me?

Who is that woman?

No comments:

Post a Comment